Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hall of Fame inductions


Hello,

Beginning July 1st, Working Title will begin inducting movies into it's Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame will be especially reserved for films which I feel are the cream of the crop, the best of the best. They will represent a wide range of movies from all-time classics to a few notable movies which may very well surprise you. The goal is to induct 1 movie every month, making it 12 movies a year. I have been wrestling the past week with what is going to be our very first induction and feel I've chosen a worthy flick to start the blog off right. I'm sure there will be some controversy with my picks. Again this is only my opinion on what I think are the truly great films. But hey, I want to drum up some discussion, so feel free to argue with the choices or any of the reviews. With our grading system, it seems logical that Hall of Fame movies would garner an A+ rating. And yes, all Hall of Fame movies will be rated A+, but not all A+ movies will be Hall of Fame worthy. So then what is the criteria for the Hall of Fame? Let's see if we can break it down:

1- Sustainability: Simply put, does this movie stand the test of time? Will what was great in 1932 still be great today? Can this movie still be enjoyed with multiple viewings? Most Hall of Fame movies should hold up to this category.

2- Quality: Top notch performances, direction, technical effects. plot, etc. Does the film deliver most of these elements?

3- Innovation: There are some movies that changed the face of movie-making. These films should be considered Hall of Fame worthy.

These are the main three points. And I am sure we will explore others as we look towards what truly makes a film a great film, worthy of our highest honor.

Let me know what you think the elements of a Hall of Fame movie are.

Peace and Happy Father's Day to all.

Mike

2 comments:

  1. timelessness, even if it is a period piece, even if it is clearly the product of the time. but something i can obviously watch regardless of the decade

    impact, on me intellectually and emotionally, as well as its effect on films of the future

    it may not have to be the most original thing i've ever seen, but it does have to make all the right decisions, and never insult the viewer with short cuts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. I especially liked the last bit. I hope you find the first inductee worthy. I took a lot of time in deciding what should go first. I have a good idea of what movies are going to be inducted this first year. We've got 6 total until the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete